Over the last few weeks, we've shared a few recipes to help keep you and your family safe during the COVID-19 outbreak. Today we wanted to organize all of that content into one place so you can find it easily find, refer and share it.
Almost all of the supplies mentioned in this blog can be found in our online shop:
- Empty bottles and containers available here.
- Raw materials and carrier oils available here.
- Due to high demand, we have sourced Perfumery Alcohol (200 proof) which can be used similarly to rubbing alcohol. Learn more about in detail here.
Hand Sanitizer Recipe
Both of the recipes below include at least 60% alcohol content to ensure effectiveness (as advised by the CDC). In other words, each bottle you make will be made up of at least 60% alcohol.
Small Batch (15ml Bottle):
- 2 tsp Perfumery Alcohol - 200 Proof (or Rubbing Alcohol 91-99%)
- 1 tsp Aloe Vera Gel Juice
- A few drops of Vitamin E, Jojoba or Argan Oil
- 10 drops Protective Blend (see modification below)
- Optional: 5 drops Tea Tree (Melaleuca) or Lemon or Peppermint essential oil
- Optional: Reuse an empty 15 ml oil bottle and add a mister top (available here)
Larger Batch (about 2 x 120 ml Bottles):
- 1/3 Aloe Vera Gel Juice
- 2/3 Perfumery Alcohol - 200 Proof (or Rubbing Alcohol 91-99%)
- 1/4 tsp Vitamin E, Jojoba or Argan Oil
- 30 drops Protective Blend (see modification below)
- Optional: 10 drops Tea Tree (Melaleuca) or Lemon or Peppermint essential oil
- Make sure to spray enough to cover both hands entirely. Rub your hands together (both sides and in between fingers) until dry.
- Aloe Vera Gel Juice is known to have antioxidant & antibacterial properties.
- Vitamin E, Jojoba, Argan Oil and other carrier oils help to keep your skin soft & moisturized.
- Perfumery Alcohol (200 Proof) is an effective disinfecting agent and acts as an emulsifier in your liquid formulations (allows your essential oils to disperse)
- Substitute Protective Blend (known as On Guard by dōTERRA or Thieves by Young Living) for a combination of Orange, Clove, Cinnamon and Arborvitae essential oil.
- Find spray bottles and raw materials on our website here.
All Purpose Cleaner
This natural all-purpose cleaner can be used safely throughout your entire home to disinfect countertops, remotes, handles, switches, toys & other frequently touched surfaces. You can even use this to wipe down your car handles, buttons & steering wheel.In a 16 oz Glass Spray Bottle (available here):
- 2 tbsp Castile Soap
- 10 drops Orange essential oil
- 20 drops Protective Blend (dōTERRA: On Guard or Young Living: Thieves)
- 1/4 cup Alcohol - 200 Proof or Rubbing Alcohol (91% or higher) or white vinegar if you don't have either
- Top with distilled water
- Shake, spray & wipe down surfaces with a cloth or paper towel.
- We love the 16 oz size bottle because you don't have to worry about running out for a long time! If you're making this in an 8 oz bottle, divide the recipe in half.
- Perfumery Alcohol (200 Proof) is an effective disinfecting agent and acts as an emulsifier in your liquid formulations (allows your essential oils to disperse).
- Find spray bottles and raw materials on our website here.
Foaming Hand Soap Recipe
In a 50 ml Foaming Hand Pump Bottle:
- 1 tsp Castile Soap
- 1/2 tsp Alcohol - 200 Proof or Rubbing Alcohol (91% or higher)
- 3 drops Lemon or Peppermint or Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 8 drops Protective Blend (dōTERRA: On Guard or Young Living: Thieves)
- A few drops of Vitamin E, Jojoba Oil, Argan Oil or FCO (for softness & hydration)
- Top with distilled water.
- Shake well, add a pump of soap to your hands and rub for at least 20 seconds before rinsing (sing a song).
- Alternatively to Protective Blend, you can use 2 drops each of Clove, Orange, Cinnamon & Arborvitae.
- 150 ml Foaming Hand Pump Bottles are coming soon! You will be able to find them on our website here.
Other Important Tips
Drink water (and lots of it). Water helps to keep your body hydrated while providing cleansing, metabolic & digestive benefits. If you struggle to keep up with drinking water or find yourself eating at all hours of the day, we have a trick for you:
- Add a drop of dōTERRA citrus oil such as grapefruit, lemon, lime, green mandarin, red mandarin or tangerine to your water
- Ensure your cup is glass or stainless steel (pure essential oils can deteriorate plastic) and that it is at least 500 ml in size
- We like to toss in fresh fruit or even a sprig of mint as well
Keep moving! It can be easy to fall into a lazy routines of staying in your pyjamas and watching TV. Look up some workout videos and make use of whatever equipment or outdoor space you have at home (balcony, backyard, etc). A lot of people are sharing simple at home workout videos on Youtube and Instagram right now. If possible, head outside for a brisk walk while keeping your distance.
Eat clean! If you're spending more time than usual at home, crack open that dusty cook book and master some new recipes. You'll learn new skills and use simple ingredients that you can pronounce. As tempting as it may be to buy cheap foods like canned goods or Kraft Dinner, homemade recipes will leave you fuller longer and supply your body with nutrients it needs (not preservatives and other additives found in pre-packaged goods).
For a tasty immune-boosting snack, add a drop of dōTERRA On Guard essential oil to a bowl of water and let your apple slices soak for about 10 minutes. After, dump the water and enjoy your slices immediately or let them dry for a while. We let ours sit for a few hours and the flavour just blended into the apple and tasted even better! If you find the taste overpowering, letting them sit will make it less pungent.
Make our Liquid Sunshine Blend! It is one of our all-time favourites! We hope it can help brighten your mood & bring you energy at a time when you need it most.
Recipe for a 10 ml roller bottle (available here):
- 6 drops Bergamot
- 6 drops Frankincense
- 6 drops Grapefruit
- 3 drops Geranium
- 2 drops Ylang Ylang
- Top with Fractionated Coconut Oil
Apply to your pulse points & enjoy often! If you want to make this for kids or in a 5ml roller, cut the drops in half.
Wind down and calm your mind with a little Epsom Salt pamper session! This is a good way to disconnect from everything that's going on and treat your body. We've shared three simple recipes including a body scrub, foot soak and bath soak that you to enjoy at home. Get those recipes from our previous blog post here and you can find Epsom Salt on our website here.
Eating, drinking and moving regularly will give you the energy you need to feel mentally, physically and spiritually healthy! We hope you find a way to get back to the basics, reconnect with yourself and enjoy the little things in life like cooking, self care, movement, family and pets! Use your essential oils for support & keep well!
DISCLAIMER: Make sure you are using essential oils that are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade. All information mentioned in this blog post has not been evaluated by Health Canada or the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Leave a comment